Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Kids and Pets

So today was a pretty low day all around.  Part of the day I spent wondering, "How am I going to tell the kids?  They're going to be devastated".

So I spent a few minutes looking at links on "how to talk to your child about pet death".  Unless you're an idiot the advice on these websites is pretty obvious.  And (thanks Chris) no, I didn't tell them that "Bear went for a long walk with Jesus".

So I picked them up from daycare, thinking how I should broach the subject on the way home.  Making small talk, etc etc.  Finally, I managed to get the two of them in the same place for five minutes during a lull in the shouting and whining and said:

"you know how Bear went to Kelowna, and he was really, really sick and I said he might not get better?"

To which they responded:

"yeah"

"well, Bear was so sick that he couldn't get better, and he died (followed by a short discourse on dying)."

Tobin: "oh"

Nick: "what dad?  what?  what dad?  what?  what dad? what?"*

Tobin: "well we'll just get another dog, or a cat, but we don't have the right food for a cat."

Nick: "what dad? what? what dad? what? what dad? what? I'm hungry."

Me: "right, well.  I miss him too.  Maybe we can make a toast to him at dinner!"

Nick: "I want toast for dinner!"

Alrighty then.  I guess death is still a little esoteric.  Hopefully I don't die before they get a handle on that one, otherwise I'll be assigned to the compost heap of their emotions.

I miss Bear anyway.

*standard converstion with Nick

7 comments:

Chris said...

Bear was such a meathead but I loved that goof. Stuipd dog made me tear up today. I told Coen and aside from being sad he said "I wonder what he'll come back as? Maybe an eagle." So keep your eyes peeled for an eagle acting like a complete jackass to all the other birds. That'll be Bear.

Ann-Marie said...

Oh, your posting made me giggle (as usual). I can just imagine the conversation with the boys...Toast for dinner...oh dear.
Well here's to Bear! He was a loveable, enthusiastic being always giving unconditional love and affection and wanting the same. Let's take lessons.
Love you. Miss you. Big hug!
amg.

Anonymous said...

Dear goofy old Bear...probably somewhere warm with endless bags of lovely, smelly garbage to rummage through,unlimited amounts of food dropped on the floor and carpet everywhere to roll, snuffle around on and deposit hair onto!

He had a wonderful life with you guys and was included in more family activities than any other dog on earth.

He was one lucky, loveable, slightly goofy, unforgetable mutt.

Big hugs to all of you,

Nana

Deb said...

Oh Bear. What a great dog - almost unbelievably optimistic and enthusiastic. He had a fantastic life with you guys. sending big hugs and kisses all around... we'll have some toast for Bear tonight. ;)
xoxo
Deb

Ann-Marie said...

I miss my most eager and willing running partner...
Bear pushed us into some big milestones in our lives - buying a house, parenting (we practiced with Bear), running marathons (always keen on a run!!!)
Sigh.
A good dog through and through. All heart.

Grampallan said...

He's buried in my heart too

Ryan said...

Bear was part of the house. Opening a door in the house was always a trigger for some spazzing out, click-clacking, tail banging and general snorfling around. I find myself still waiting for that response whenever I walk in. In spite of how irritating I found it sometimes to be bowled over and attacked every time I came home, I miss it. Miss that mildly retarded old hound...