Saturday, February 21, 2009

Charleston to Paynes Ford

From Charleston we headed up to Tauranga Bay where we ran, swam and surfed a little more. Then we drove inland towards Murchison through the Buller Gorge and did the New Zealand version of an *endurance* drive to Nelson (I think it was about three hours - everything in New Zealand is amazingly close).

Tobin in travel/rockstar mode


Eels. 'Tame' eels are to New Zealand as Go-karts are to Canadians. There seemed to be 'tame eel' attactions everywhere. These eels aren't tame, they've learned to slither up on the land and extend their disgusting bodies towards any biped in the hopes of snagging a child or someone's hot dog.


These things gave me nightmares. We went to one place in Hokitika that had a tank with 50 gigantic eels in them. Most of them weighed 30kg and were at least 2m long. They would hover just above the bottom of their tank with their creepy opaque eyes and gaping, gasping mouths waiting for some sucker to fall in so they could tear them to pieces. It was like some kind of aquatic zombie movie. Disgusting.

Tobin was fond of them. Almost every day he would say 'more eels!'.



"Look out!"


Tent time with the kids


Breakfast time in the refugee camp


Trace and Ann-Marie at Paynes


Tobin, just waking up at the crag


The best swimming I've ever seen was at Payne's ford. This was right at the base of the crags. The water was about 12' deep so you could do just about anything you wanted off these little crags. Great bouldering all around the holes too. Phil assured me there were no eels here, but I made him go first just to make sure.

4 comments:

simmers said...

awesome...did the swimming hole have eels too?

Ryan said...

I was never sure, so I stayed away from overhanging ledges and kept my legs up near the surface.

Anonymous said...

Now you understand why... when I was being chased by a horde of ground wasps and Paul kept yelling "Jump into the pond"...I didn't. I ended up with 17 stings but no eel touchings (no "eel feelings").

Love Nana

Anonymous said...

I just love that refugee breakfast where Tobin can see his shadow eating. but he isn't. see you soon jenmmumgran